Wednesday 13 November 2013

Secondary Research Holding the How To Books together



Different ways to hold the How To Books...

My idea has developed to having a hard back book filled with different finishes and then also little how to books? on how to do the finishings, due to me myself not knowing how to create a professional look on finishes even though I know how to screen print & lino cut and processes such as this.

So I was looking at a book called Making Handmade Books by Alisa Golden and found lots of binding that I liked and how to add the little hot to books within the finishings book.



 This is the first one I saw I thought that I could have all the books attached to each other and then they wouldn't lose them. Although, I was then thinking that they would have to take all of the books to the print workshop which this is not what I wanted as I wanted the book to be small to put in there pocket and laminated maybe. So therefore, I have decided this is not the right binding for me.


 Then I seen this snake book. I thought this would be perfect for the actual how to books themselves due to them laying down on the table flat, so therefore can put them in the print room and read while doing it. Although, this would then get very dirty so I was think about laminating the pages. But then I don't know if this would make the book look tacky so I need to trial this out. Also, would there be enough room in the workshop to lay it out. So this is a possibility but yet I would have to work out the size and the possibilities within the room before I make a definite decision.





I liked the idea of this as this will not let the binding edge been smaller and bulging at one side as the books will be thick and therefore not fit within the size of the normal binding. This makes the book have a larger binging edge, although I do have lots of little books and therefore the books binding edge would have to be very long which I don't think would be appropriate.








I liked this again because I folded out it is something that had slots to put my books in, but the thickness will be a downfall again as this is tied with ribbon but I think each one will be difficult to follow maybe due to it been very long. I would maybe have to design it so they hold it portrait so that it would flow better.







I initially took a picture of this book because I liked how I could have slotted the books between the pages. But then It would be confusing to the reader of what is what and also you would have to have it on display all the time. I therefore think that this would be very confusing to the eye and you wouldn't be able to see the one they want easily, also I think it would be tricky to pull them out etc.. So I will not be taking this is into consideration for the process of my binding.






This I took a picture of because initially I wanted it to be in envelopes, because this is how I envisioned it at the very beginning and I wanted it to be in a envelope on the opposite side so the books would be easy to hand when wanting to know more about the process. Although, now I have changed my mind do to not wanting the books to be a key part of the finishings book due to wanting it to be a bespoke high end book.






I like the idea of this book. Although, I ain't liking the idea of having paper as the insert of the books due to the wear & tear will take its toll eventually. Due to the books been taken in & out a lot. The look of the book is very clean so maybe could test out more durable card, but then the issue of folding the card maybe the issue with that. Also, maybe try having a hard back cover at each end to then fasten around that.


This I thought, could have been a good idea to have a book to accompany the finishings book with all the little books of how to.. due tot then they are all together and they won't get lost. To make this happen I would have to make the information as little as possible due to the amount of pages I would be limited to due to the binding. Then also, would you want to take the whole book to the workshop or would you be put off?


Then I have also, been searching the internet for ideas also:



So this is very similar to the ones above although, this would only how the how to books. This would be held in by the corner slots although I would still have the problem of the book been very thick, although I could use a ribbon to hold together I don't want to add pressure and then it end up breaking. Holding the book on the outside corner will make it harder too due to the outside edge been the most fullest.




I thought, this would be a good Ideas due to the book been able to be big (the same size as the finishings book) therefore the book won't have has many pages. Also, been able to hold it together and not bee confusing as it would be inside the page with the actual finishing on. This is one binding procedure I am going to consider as I think this could work very well.



This is something I found right at the beginning when I didn't know what I really wanted and could only think of something like this. But as my research became deeper I found better ways although this would be good for just an individual book or CD to hold within a book.




I then found this, Which I thought was a very cool idea as not having full pages but spread the books within the surface area to then therefore reduce the size and thickness of the book. I think this would be hard to bind as this is only a couple before the book starts, and due to me not wanting to have the how to books within the finishings book now this would not be applicable for me as I would have to attach them to my spine somehow.



Then I started look at ways to hold the books together rather than having books inside a book as I thought, this might be pointless due to other ways to hold the books together.






I liked this way to hold all the books together like a case for the books. And then you can easily slip them in & out whenever possible. Also then you can just take one out at a time to the printing workshops and finally I would just need to create the spine a highly detailed due to this the first thing you seeing. Although I am not sure the book is going to be thick enough to do perfect binding and was thinking about stapling it or doing a saddle stitch which is simple and easy due to the amount of books and also the size. So therefore, I would need to take this into consideration before I finalise on this idea.



Overall, I think that I need to do a hard back cover and spine with the book inserted into pouches, within a separate book to the finishing book as due to me wanting the finishing book to look luxury then this would be the best, options throughout all the different techniques I have searched.



No comments:

Post a Comment