Thursday 11 October 2012

Alphabet Soup-Typeface



Alphabet Soup-Partnership Typeface


We was put in to pairs from Amber picking two names out of the randomiser my partner was Jordan Harrison-Reader.

We then had to complete a questionnaire of each other, these was the following questions:




1) What is your favourite colour?
      
Blue

2)What is your earliest memory?

In nursery, when i had to stand up in front of the class because i was new and the boys on the front table was sticking their tongues out at me.

3)Which living designer do you admire the most? and why?

Drew Millward - Illustrator

4)What is your most treasures possession?

Grandads WW2 medals & Skateboard

5)What would your super power be?

Teleport

6)Which piece of graphic design do you wish you had created?

Double Exposure Portraits-Dan Mountford

7)Who would play you in the film of your life?

Keith Ledgeure

8)Who would you invite to your dream dinner party? 

Hunteress Thompson & Walter White(Breaking Bad)

9)What makes you unhappy?  

Poverty & Suffering

10)What would be your fancy dress costume of choice?

Dinosaur 

11)Which words or phrases do you most overuse?

Awesome & Sick

Then I asked I there was anything else he was into? 

Skateboarding
Carhartt (Sergey Sharpio)
Retro type
Printing Methods
   



So I thought I would look further into the artist & designers he is interested in to see the style he likes and also research in to skateboarding as that is a main hobby of his. The idea of retro type i like the sound of too so might mix the two together.




Skateboarding:


This image Really caught my eye due to the ramp the L and the B is creating.







I like the lean the AVA is creating against each other almost represents the skater on the ramp.






This blocky typeface made me think of skate parks as soon as i seen it due to the slanted edges and the full block shapes.





This is very well designed and like how it has used an image of the skate park to create the font. Show continuous flow in the realistic skater way.



This is a design from a trainer shop that creates mainly skater trainers and i like the use of handwritten type with a slight relation to graffiti.

This is also another style I like the thick maker pen effect and smooth continuation.




This layout is well thought-out and i like how the stick image used is also made up of a big D










The capitals in the printed style is what Jordan likes and therefore i thought i would include it in although i think make me quite difficult to adapt to be hand rendered.






The flowing type of this is very appealing to myself and also interlinks with the skateboarding concept.






The 3D effect created I like very much the type also has flow in it and show retro style too.





This a very modernistic style but is found on the bottom of many skateboards.






I like this style as it is very hand rendered and therefore an able style to create in this project. This shows the wide range of typefaces all skateboards have on them.





The make up of different geometric shapes and lines reminds me of skateboarding due to the mixture of things added to it.






I like this skate board as the type is very blocky almost represent an actual skate park.




The multiple line effect has come up again with the flowing lines within the single typeface rather than words which makes more sense for the brief i am doing.




This is a brand of skateboards i like the use of triangles as A's.





Here again triangles are shown these seem to be a big part of design when it comes to skateboards maybe due to that is the pyramid it represents at the peak of the ramp.





This is also another skateboarding brand i liked the retro look within this as this is the mixture of concept i am trying to perceive across.






The use of broken down shapes to create the letter which are layered over each other looks good but due to me only been able to use monochrome would be an hard image to replicate.






The use of thin & thick strokes within this typeface i like due to the motion of a skate board you can move sideways which is taking up a lot of area space or straight or even take flight which takes up none.





This is the same although this shows motion more within it as it show distance and travel as it create perception.





This is created from the tube that they skim to perform tricks they used bobbles on the end due to connoting the tick they perform at the end as they come of the pipe.





The main board i like on this one is the black & white one at the end as it shows depth and different shapes like you see when your at a skater park.








Retro:



This one again is very blocky i wasn't too sure whether this is too retro type but i like the blocky style anyway so i thought i would save and include in to my research.





This is very quirky and i like how they have used only slight lines to make the letter on the first two columns.

This is very tubey and this is what i think of when i think retro the multiple lines remind me of how a skater does go round the park as they just keep going and going and going.





The make up of shapes and lines again i like with the use of both makes me thing of retro and skateboarding.






This is retro in the style of hand print.





The use of the outline and the negative space on the inside is quite effect although i am not too sure how it would look on true grid paper and black ink.






Here again is lines to make up the typeface. I think this is one of the elements i am going to use to create my final typeface.






Again the use of shapes and lines which has a true relation to skateboarding and my concept.







This is very retro classic and i like how it has been infilled.





My favourite typeface on this image that relate to my theme is the comic tricks which shows thick and black lines and thin contours.





The use of lines as shading really caught my eye in this typeface it really gives the effect of shadow and depth.














Dan Mountford:



This is a photographer that Jordan told me he was interested in. I like how he has used double exposure to create double meaning. He always uses portraits with another imagery scene. This is something i may use in my idea development as i quite like the imagery overlaying the main image.





Drew Millward:





These images are very vibrant and use a full range of colour. The use of lines is very prominant again throughout his work as he uses a lot of detail throughout all his designs. I think i will take inspiration of lines as a lot of his work he said he likes has reformed to multiple lines to form the design.





I also asked him if there was an particular bands or songs he liked at the moment and he told me:
Submotion Orchestra
These are some of their album covers & promotional material: 
 

I am also going to download this band music and listen to is while i am developing my ideas to see if it gives me an influence within my design & ideas.





Now i am going to progress on to my idea development from my in depth research into the information that Jordan gave me about what he likes and what he doesn't.




No comments:

Post a Comment