Wednesday 3 October 2012

Alphabet Soup 1


Alphabet Soup 1



We have been given a brief to produce a set of ten letterforms that explores and communicates my interpretation of the word that I selected from the randomisers (jar). It has to be hand generated and in monochrome no colour allowed to be used to enhance the communication.

My word picked from the randomiser....




GLOW




So i looked it up in the dictionary and found this:
  • Bloom
  • Blossom
  • Heat
  • Light
  • Luminosity
  • Ray
  • Radiance
  • Warmth
  • Gleam
  • Glimmer
  • Glare
  • Shine
  • Beam
  • Flush



I also did some research to find inspiration and this is what i found:

 





I found this in the computer arts magazine which i think the hazyness and lines of light/strobes really connote the word glow as a whole.














This was the first picture that springed into my mind when i opened my post-it note to see the word glow as it is what i associate the most with the word glow. 







I believe glow in the dark is a very prominant theme to glow but been unable to use colour and computer to create the typeface it was unachievable. 







This is a very bright image and i think this represents glow due to that reason. The white against the black really stands out and the haze of the other bright colours in the background.





A glowworm is also what came up when i searcged glow on google and i think this would be a good idea to try and replicate a glowworm as a shape, with the finishing point been the glowing end. 



Also, when i first thought of glow was using a glow stick to spplatter the letter which is very original and boring but could have been a good starting point, but the colour restriction again stop me from developing onto that idea. 
From this research I decided that the ideas I was getting was not appropriate for the brief due to the nature of the colour scheme, so u decided to go more greyscale and look for things that glowed to the eye from the black and white colour scheme. Heres what I found...






This one seemed very glowing to the eye and I didnt think that black media against white stock would work but this seems to work really well.





These show lovely connotations to glow and I love the idea of black stock with white media. They have both given me the idea to work with white chalk n black card to develop towards my 10 examples of typefaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment